Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Lessons learned, good news and bad news

Hi y'all

Today's training ended the long and tough part of my schedule so that means I'm officially in my taperweek. This was killer week. With a 14km run last Thursday that circled Amsterdam and even included running up and down the stairs at Nemo. This week ended with an 18.5km run. Yep. And I pulled it all off while working and dealing with some serious things. Want to see my runs? check m out here https://runkeeper.com/user/Seilram/profile

Just a few more days before we cross the ocean and fly to the USA, Not my first transatlantic and not the first time we're going to San Francisco but boy-oh-boy I am looking forward to this trip. Not in the least because the love of my life gets to join me. His physician told us that it would be in his best interest to actually take the trip. Not that I'm keeping score but YIHAAA. I know this doesn't make sense now but I will tell y'all  as soon as I can. Sander joining me was the best news we got last week. I am thrilled and I cried when our GP told him that he actually needed to go to SF with me. Golly Moses the stress that came with that all was just sickening. However....he will be there waiting for me as I cross that finishline. And that is all I need.

Unfortunately we have had some truely aweful news too. As y'all know my mom has been undergoing a series of tests to determine weather her neuromusculair disease was Myasthenia Gravis or ALS (Lou Gherig's disease / in Dutch they also call it voorhoorn aandoening). My dad specifically asked the neurologist if it could be anything else than MG or ALS. You still hope for anything else right? But the neurologist was very clear on that: NO. That afternoon my mom tested 100% sure a negative on Myasthenia Gravis. It is just so unfair. So unreal and so....otherworldly even. It is always someone else....until it is not. And now those gigantic posters that are scattered all over Amsterdam...all of them could be my mom. She is still not done undergoing tests so next wednesday she will hear more but the neurologist flat out said it: if it is not MG than it is ALS. The weird thing about it is that it just doesn't seem to hit me. Like it isn't real. And all I want to do is have fun with my mom. Loads of it. So....me, my sister and my mom will walk the Halloween parade this year. I will not give y'all the details on our costumes but I will tell you this: they will be epic!  My mom means the world to me and I just can't put my head around this all. I just can't so for now I just won't. I want to have fun and enjoy each and every moment. No regrets.

And on that note I can honestly say that each and every mile I ran this week I was fully aware of the beauty that is called a healthy body. I feel extra motivated and obligated to make an effort. I am able to run and therefore I should chase my running dreams. Enjoy every minute of life.

That;s it for this week. Stay tuned....San Francisco will be epic!

Until we read again. as always
Love, Marlies

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s