Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Half way point?

Hi y'all,

Two weeks since I last updated you on my journey to marathon finish line. What's been up? Well to begin with I entered the final weeks of the academic year before summer and for a teacher that means the crazy van just rolled into town. Everybody is stressed out, tired and ready to for that summer holiday to start. With just 3 weeks left and a growing stack of term papers, exams, graduations and other stuff to deal with...it's crazy time in crazy ville. So what's a girl to do? Try to maintain your calm and taking each day as it comes along, roll with the punches and just breathe through it. Easier said then done when you are at the end of your rope and dangling above a cliff  with a mile drop. But I try.




To keep my sanity I run, you've figured that out by now and honestly last week was a good one runningwise and it ended with me running my Half Blood Prince Half marathon in 2 hours and 29 minutes. My third half marathon and I felt surprisingly good. Wasn't too tired, felt like I could run some more and most important of all: I had fun. This half marathon was a virtual one created by my virtual running club: Hogwarts Running Club. What does it mean to run a virtual race? Basically you buy the shirt and the medal and the money from that is divided between several charities. After that it is all up to you to actually run the race and actually earn your bling. This is when your runner's moral becomes a true thing. AS someone so eloquently reminded me: SO....you buy the medal and that means you can fake running it right? Well yes dear....you could but just the mere thought you just voiced says everything about you and nothing about me. You do realize it is quite simple to fake running an entire scheduled marathon by jumping onto the course, off of it and back onto it and receiving a medal for it too don't you? You might even end up on some of the photographers pictures along the race course.



Yes you can fake run everything. You can show off medals for runs you didn't actually run. But let me ask you this: WHY WOULD YOU??? So ....yes it is a bit geeky and weird maybe even to some to pin a bib on your chest and run a race that maybe only you are running at your time and place...remember this though: as I was running my half marathon to actually OWN each and every piece of that medal, so was one of my fellow snakes all the way over in the USA. And that is just awesome. To me running those virtual races is a fun way to up my mileage and get some bling for it too AND help make the world a better place all at the same time.



Hmmmm reading what I just wrote I see that I'm bothered with some of the things people tell me lately. Buying your bling is just one of them. The other thing that sincerely annoyed me was when someone told me: waaaiiit so everybody get's that medal at the end of the race? Not just the top 3? YES!! We all get them and let me tell you something: we are ALL runner's. Some might be fast, others less so but we all ran the darn distance! Could you be a little more respectful please? If it were so easy then why on earth aren't you running?

Last thing that has been bothering me lately is the difference between men and women when it comes to talking about their races. Men don't refer to themselves as joggers, men do never belittle their accomplishments when it comes down to the time they clocked.Women however that is a completely different story. Women post their races and immediately start explaining why they do not think of themselves as runners. They focus on all the things that really do not matter. They talk about their body weight (often combined with a fixed set of negative self imagery attached to it), they tell the world that they are totally not fast and that they are joggers more then they are runners, they find a reason to not be proud. GIRLS!! Wake up! You run simply because you put one foot in front of the other at a pace that is slightly faster then walking. You know what?/ There will always be a faster runner, a leaner runner, a taller one and a smaller one and a bigger one. WHO CARES! Did you do something that made you smile? Did you make an effort to accomplish something you never thought you could? If so then you have every right to show your medal, to boast in your glory and to celebrate what you have done. Because what ever it was: it was a huge thing for you!



For me these past two weeks were about accomplishing goals and allowing myself to be proud of them. If anything I hope this blogpost inspires women and girls all over the world to just be proud of what you have accomplished without the comparison to the rest of the world. You are trying to be the best version of you. That is the only thing that matters!

That's it for now, until we read again,
Love, Marlies


Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s