Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Because of you

Hi y'all,

Y'all have been around long enough to know that my mom suffered from ALS and for the observant readers: that's right I'm writing in past tense. Her suffering came to an end on Monday june 18th 2018, ten days after she turned 70. She has left the disease and us in a beautiful and sereen moment with all of us standing by her side as she left us.

The week that followed was unreal and weird and now...seven days after my mom's passing and her cremation I have woken up in my own house feeling  a bit out unworldly. Not sure what to do and therefore I turned to the one thing I do know....running. My body and mind have been struggling with the all of ALS and I no longer recognize me when I look at me. So I figured that I really do need to put all of the emotions in perspective and take time to heal but how do you do that? I feel like somehow I am not grieving the loss of my mom correctly. I am not overwhelmed with grieve, I am not lost and I fear that I come across as this cold hearted woman who can't even shed a tear when her mom passes.

Trust me....I have cried an ocean or three in the past three years watching her wither and die every day. I have been cursing and throwing with stuff, I have been screaming at God asking him why and the answer never came. I have been trying to wrap my mind around all of the horrible shit my mom had to endure before her life on this planet was over and I never understood. And the pain that came with all of that has left severe and visible scars. Yet somehow her end was a merciful one and she was so calm and so at peace and it was a beautiful goodbye. That moment when she left this earth has brought so much peace to me and all at the sudden all my questions were gone. She is gone and she left us feeling loved by her as we loved her.

Yes I am tired and yes I miss her but at the same time she is so much a part of me in everything I do that I can never forget her. She left her handprint on my heart and I will carry that with me for as long as I live. Which also brings me to running because...I need to live. Every day. I want to see the beauty in life through my tears, through my pain and running helps. It does.

Today I set out for a run and decided that I want to run a half marathon October 21st in Amsterdam. I ran 5km in 31.20 minutes and it was hard and so intensely nice at the same time. A swan flew over me when I hit the Marker Lake and I could here it's wings flap loudly. The water on the lake turned an ominous dark shade and when I turned my back to the lake I saw a Belgium Jay perched on a branch of a tree cocking his head and watching me with his glittery black eyes as if he was about to tell me HI. I could hear the wind russle through the trees, stroking my cheeks.

Life is in everything we do and we have to be brave enough to embrace life in it's shortness and it\s flawed and painful ways. Our lives are touched by other's waving through and it takes courage to open your heart and let your life be touched but when you do there is so much beauty. Yes there's pain and hardship and a whole bunch of fucked up crap...I am not gonna lie to y'all but .....there's love and beauty too. Today I found comfort in my run and that is my way of opening up to the all that is life. I hope you can find it in your heart to join me and see the beauty of all that is surrounding you.

Keep it unreal and make it happen!

That's it for now, until we read again
As always, Love Marlies


Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s