Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

When the fourth is with you

Hi y'all

Week four has come and gone and it has been one huge trip to crazyville during week 3 and 4. To begin with: my marathon training schedule isn't synced with my 40-days-of-Esther schedule so I constantly end up logging the wrong week number either on my Esther plan or on my marathon plan and it is frustrating, but not a biggie...

Work has been the biggest challenge in realizing my daily goals. How does one tackle a workweek with over 60 hours of work (yes that is 18 more than I'm supposed to do) with a marathon+food plan?  The answer is: plan it all and be flexible.


But how does that work when it so clearly seems to be contradictive? Change the way you look at your weekplanner and your goals. Make sure you prioritize on your goals. Think about the work-outs that count and definately do those. Use your lunchtime, if it is possible than try and figure a way out to be more flexible in your work hours, use the way to and from work as training sessions, if you're gonna get stuck in traffic after work decide to change at work, run/train and than drive home. So plan the work-outs you have to get in and be flexible about the hours in a day. Make the work-out fit. You will see it will make you more productive even if you feel a little guilty at first because you might start a little later or finish a little early. ASk yourself what is it you want to measure? Performance or seat-time? Once you start chosing for measuring performance you will quickly see that your training plan will make you work more efficiently.

Foodwise: PLAN YOUR MEALS!! Prepare them and take them with you. It is not rocket science but a little mealprepping in the weekend will save a lot of time during the week allowing you to focus on training and work and still stick to a healthy diet. I usually cook a batch of good veggie sauce that I can use for pasta's, chili or soup. Once a month I'll make a good batch of pan-bread that I keep in the freezer and most importantly: I plan all my meals for the week to come including breakfast and lunch!! This also helps me not having to fuss about the most annoying question in the world WHAT'S FOR DINNER? I stock up for the week to come and I'm ready to go. The planning proces takes up about an hour each week for writing it down and coming up with grocerie lists, than the shopping takes about another hour. This saves me a whole bunch of time more. Simply because I no longer have to think about the entire proces and I decreased the run to the supermarket to once a week in stead of daily.

Working up a meal plan also helps me focus on my training sessions and what I need to eat before and after to optimize my results in both weight and running and as an added bonus I have discovered it saves me money because I now know exactly how much of each product I will use in a week thus having less food waste AND since I'm bringing in lunch it saves me money I don't spent on junkfood etc.

The answer in marathon training while having a demanding job lies within the secret of planning and most importantly being flexible. Work around the things you can't change and be true to what you need to do. Use time in your advantage and have the guts to put yourself first. Be balsy and make you the most important part of your day. I have learned that 'm more productive, much nicer and more healthy when I make time to work-out. You have to be the keeper of your own game. Nobody will do it for you. If you really want to do something you will find a reason to do it, if not...you'll find an excuse.

So how have I been doing? Well I have ticked off all needed boxes listed above & worked my ass off at work. It's a challenge I won't lie and yes it will make you tired and yes when it rains it pours but...it is worth it. At the start of week 5 in Lent my scale has been nice to me. The number has dropped and  more importantly I can feel myself getting stronger in my runs and at the gym. Yes it is hard work, yes you will feel all of your muscles, yes you will be very tired and yes it will hurt and make you feel uncomfortable many times but you know what? NOTHING CHANGES IF NOTHING CHANGES and YOU my dear friend are the only one that can actually make it happen. So if you have dreams than go after them. You don't need to radically burn all the bridges and move to another country and change jobs. Just take a good look at your week planner, plan your meals and work-outs around the givens and than go kick butt.

That's it for now.
keep it unreal and make it happen
No limits, no regrets
Until we read again
As always, love Marlies


Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s