Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

The end of marathongirl?

Hi y'all,


Marathon training is now full on with longer long runs currently at + half marathon distances and with that doubt is kicking in. Last week on one of my short tempo runs (so that's an 11k) I actually tripped over my own foot and smashed hard onto the concrete path that runs through one of the woods I live nearby (maybe it's a park). Luckily I wasn't holding a bottle and luckily I had my man riding his bike right behind me. I immediatly got up, checked everything, used precious water to clean my chafed hands and knees and kept running but that fall shook me up.

It somehow seems that my mind is struggling to keep away from the pain and trust me...My legs and butt hurt when I run +half marathon. Last Sunday I was scheduled for a 22k run, a wee over half but my body was protesting so much and it was so frekking hot I got mad, really mad and wanted to throw in the towel. I ended up walking-trashtalking myself-running and repeat. Finally at 2 hours and 45 minutes I was done. Slow. Frekking slow but that didn't bother me as much as the pain I felt.



The pain of the long run combined with the fact that I did get scared didn't stop me from running last week but somehow it did become the small whisper that now seems to have taken residence in my brain, the whisper that says: 'is this still you?'  That whisper came along today on my 25k long run and even though today I had fun and really enjoyed the hell out of the storm and battering rain when we ran next to the lake, I crashed at half marathon and started to feel each and every muscle. The last 4.5 km I ended up walking bits and hearing myself say to Sander that I truely am wondering if this is still me.

Coming home and taking a shower with a chafed back and a chafed boob it was exactly that whisper that came back....is it all still worth it? All the hours in training, losing toenails, chafing your back and boob (yes always one never both) because of the stupid fact that you have boobs not peas for breasts. Why do you wanna go through with this? And this time the only answers I have is: training for a marathon gives me purpose. And that is true. Also: have you seen the tremendous difference in the amount of men and the amount of women running a full? It is staggering and I for one don't get it. How come so many dudes run +half distances and so little dudettes? What is that all about hunh? So that is the only other motivation I have to not call it quits right away but honestly? I am just not so sure I can hack it this time around.

So what is different this time around? Well for starters I have a 32hrs a week paid job that comes with many unregular hours. That means that I seriously have to juggle hours. Second thing is that I'm probably still recovering from last year even though society dictates that I should (to use the words somebody actually used) 'GET OVER IT'. My body is more tired than it was the first time around and my mind is less able to focus away from the pain. I tripped and smashed into the concrete and I heard myself say: at least I didn't break anything this time. I have broken both my wrists and my anckle before and I'm just not so sure about this whole thing anymore. On the other hand: when given the change to hop on the back of Sander's bike I always flat-out refuse. I'd rather walk bits than crap out all together.

So that's it folks.... I am officially scared. I'm not so sure I can deal with the pain anymore and I'm not so sure I can do it again. I also decided to not make a decision about it now. I'll take it one training at the time and that only leaves me with the question if it would be so bad to not run a marathon again?

Let's just say I'm really trying to keep it unreal and making it happen.
That's it for now!
Until we read again, as always
Love Marlies

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s