Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Each run should be FUN

 Hi y'all,

Running is a gift and gifts are supposed to bring you joy, a smile and little love in your heart. With the month of giving dawning upon us I wanted to share a little of what I think running should be and why. 

Running should be something you look forward to, not dread. It should be something you want to do not have to. Running in all it's weirdness really oughta make you carry a smile from ear to ear each and every time. Why? because running should bring you joy. It really really should.

Now I know it sometimes isn't easy to find joy in pushing your body over and through the pain threshold and way out of your comfort zone. It hurts to run long distances and depending on who you ask the pain can hit anywhere between mile 4 and way way above that. Pain can't be fun is something I can hear you think but as twisted as I might sound: you're wrong. Ofcourse I really don't like chafing, blisters and cramp but the fun begins when you realize that these sorts of pains can be ignored, you can run through them and you are able to do so much more than you think you can. The fun begins when you overcome yourself and run your first 10k, your first 10 miles, your first half marathon and finally your first full marathon. That sense of accomplishment, of pride is something that you'll never forget. The unrealness that it really was you who did it and that you are actually that strong that is more than fun. It is what makes running so addictive.

But there is so much more. Running isn't always easy and the thing that always helps me through the tough ones is this thought: If I need to walk bits and pieces than I will. There's no running police, I can't get disbarred for running 5 miles per hour and doing that for about 5hrs. If I can find and keep my smile because I walk bits and pieces and enjoy my time on the road than I am as much a runner as anyone out there. 

So run and enjoy the little things like: the sun on your face, fighting the elements, taking in nature's beauty, singing along to the songs on your playlist, the relaxing sounds of your feet touching the ground in constant intervals, the thought of a great meal. Whatever you do just enjoy your time out in the open air. Because in all there is, it truely is a gift to be able to run and we must never forget that. 

So this december I would like to ask you to give yourself the biggest gift you can give yourself and that is YOU-time. Grab your running shoes and spent 3 days a week outside on them. No matter your pace, no matter your distance and just have fun. Above all, HAVE FUN. Find yourself enjoying that (really) early sunset or maybe even that little late sunrise. Work and personal situation permitting try a lunchbreak on your running shoes. Embrace the rain, enjoy the crisp wintery air, stop and breathe every now and again and just enjoy the gift you alone can give yourself: a good run.

That's it for now, until we read again

As always, Love Marlies

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s