Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Freedom

During my workout this morning it hit me: on this blog I have been writing about my workouts and the good cause I am running for and such but what I have not been doing so far is actually write about running. Well at least not as far as I can remember. And since last weekend I got asked what it is I like in running I might as well try to tell you guys. I am not so sure it's going to make sense but it is an attempt to explain the why in running for me, so here it goes:

Running is a twisted sport. A game between the mind and the body. How? Well this is what kind of happens to me during any given workout. I get this urge to go for a run. Sometimes because I'm in a seriously bad mood, sometimes because I am just in the mood to get out there but mostly because my schedule for the half marathon requires me to do so. The moment I get into my running shoes I get jumpy. Literally. I feel like jumping up and down. Than I set my runkeeper app (I am not one for 'naked' running), get my water, drink a small glass of roosvicee, a tradition that stuck since my basic training at team10 ,and I start my workout.

After about 500 meters it feels like my legs are telling my mind something like:'Excuse me?? What's happening? Are you for real?? Cut that out!!' And ofcourse you ignore them. Right along with those legs my lungs start to act like I have been a heavy smoker or something and I can't seem to get my breathing to become more regular or steady at the least. So you see this is the first stage of the mind/body fight. It might actually be your mind speaking for your body telling you that really this is not such a great idea or it actually is your body responding to the accute action you just rendered into. I'm not sure and I think it doesn't really matter because the result is the same. You kind of listen to your body (little aches and pains can be ignored but serious ones can't) but if you find nothing out of the ordinary than you just ignore the cries for attention and go on.

When I get to about kilometer three (about 1.15 miles) my body seems to accept the fact that running is the new modus operandi for it and it adjusts. My breathing evens out and gets steady, my legs are warm enough to just do what I ask them to do and than all at the sudden and always to my surprise there is no more thinking. Not about what I'm feeling at that precise moment, not about things I stress about, not about anything really. Suddenly the world seems to silence and slow down and I can see my city in it's rare beauty. And be amazed. Small bunnies crossing the road I'm at, the sun reflecting on the surface of the water right next to that road, young leafes, new grass,the changing light in the morning or the afternoon colouring the sky, even the bugs that surround me and sometimes sting me. My mind opens up and ideas start flowing in and out and I just let them. Listening to the cadance of my feet, watching the road ahead and just go....or better yet...let go. And I feel absolutely and totally free.

But all good things come to an end (why? So unfair!) and I nearly always hit that wall called fatigue. Usually right before the end of a workout. Somehow it is like my mind is telling me to come back to reality and deal with that thing called body that is kind of protesting again. My mind starts to throw all kind of horrible things at me like: 'Really? You think you can make it? Quit while you're ahead, come-on you're way to fat to do this, you know there is no shame in stopping now'. Right at that same moment I can feel my legs burning or my knees start to pinch me or my feet are getting so hot that if I would stick them in a bowl with water it would evaporate. Or my head is so hot and sweaty I feel like I'm about to burst. So than what? Normally i zip some water and if I have enough left I pore some over my head and finish my run by picking up the pace in stead of slowing down. Like kicking insecurity in the butt and I sometimes even get angry at my body.

And than there is that finishline. Just when I thought I couldn't go any further my runkeer app always tells me:'workout complete'. And than two things can happen. I can be really frustrated if a run felt like a strugle all the way and didn't have the 'free-time feeling' in it or I get this ...aaaaaah.....and that honestly is such a great feeling. It is a feeling of accomplishment, of reward, of endless opportunities of ...I don't know...it feels like you are invincible. Ooh and getting out of those bug invested shirts and tights and hitting a shower is like a slice of heaven. An after run shower is the best shower you can get and that after run feeling? Nothing compares to it.

running can be hard, challenging, painful and sometimes downright horrible but at the same time it can be beautiful, mind liberating, ass kicking awesome and all that is you and a road. And that is what makes me want to run over and over again. I hope you will experience this one day and remember: every day is a good day to get out there and run.

As always until we read again,

love Marlies

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s