Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Food, miles and more

An early start this morning. Nobody said it would be easy right? Tell you something...it is NOT. I love the way running makes me feel and the mere thought of finishing that half marathon October 20th just makes me happy but the hours I'm putting in to this are insane. My whole life seems to twirl around my running schedule. I get up at six in the morning on my only day off in a seven day week just because I have to eat breakfast before I go for a 11km run. I know I can't make it without my oatmeal so I set the alarm, grind my beans while half asleep, poor hot water into a filter and end up with a huge thermos full of tar black coffee. When my eyes finally do start to adjust and I'm actually able to understand what it is they are saying on the morning news, I get up to get my sacred oatmeal ritual going.

Making the perfect bowl of oatmeal is something of an art and it helps me in my own proces of getting ready for a run. First I measure half a cup of organic oatmeal and toss it in my saucepan, I add just enough water for the oatmeal to get soaked but not too much because than it will not get my favourite thickness. I add a sliced banana or blue berries or just cinnamon and than the simmering starts. My zombie self stirs the porridge the entire time. After about 12 or 15 minutes it is cooked to perfection and I poor it into a bowl. Than I add just a splash of cold (non-fat) milk and agave syrup. Perfection.

We are now an hour into the day and I'm already having a quarrel with my brain. She's trying to make excuses for me not to go but my body will not have any of that so even though it poors, it is still half dark outside and I'm still yawning despite two cups of coffee I do get dressed to go for a run. This week is my last real week of running before I have to start tapering. So even though I'm having a hard time getting up this early on my only day off this week, I'm determined to make the most of my run. Tapering is probably the hardest part because you have to let go and just believe that you have done all you could do and now you need to relax.

My training schedule right after my first ten mile run was kind of strict so the past two weeks I ran another ten mile run, did a ten kilometer event and had a few short trainings as well. I also designed a hoodie and a baseball vest as a personal reward for my long training sessions. Sometimes you have to be kind to yourself. My hoodie as a print on the back that says: 'The will to succeed is nothing without the will to prepare' and the eighties baseball vest says:'I'm only half crazy: 13.1' I'm a little scared and very excited. It all comes down to a few more runs and than I'm just going to have to do it. And I will.

Me finishing the Sloterplasloop

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s