Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Easter Runday

Hi y'all,

Another week in marathon training and in my life has come and gone. Some weeks pass by hardly noticed and uneventful and others slap you in the face like a hailstorm in August. This week my world got rocked once again as I learned that after three years of hard and loyal work, there is still not a change on me getting tenure. In the Netherlands we don't have a tenure track but we have this system that allows companies (or universities) to hire people on temporary jobs for a maximum of two years. It used to be three. Tenure in higher education here should be given to you after those years but cost effiency dictates otherwise... Even though I have been in this game for nine years and even though I can wordly predict what will be said, it hurts. It is not about how good you are at your job, it is not about competence or being loyal. It is a game of numbers and quite honestly? I am done being a number. I am so much more than that and I am worth taking a change for. I have proven my worth and if that is not enough than maybe, just maybe, it will never be enough and for that...I thank you.

It took me one night of heartfelt anger and disappointment and than I was done, you see...I am more than just what I do for a living. My work brings me financial priviliges, emotional satisfaction and honestly? A lot of good laughs but it is not all of me. It is part of me. A part I have learned to reinvent over and over again in these past nine years fighting for a spot. I went from just a language teacher to a sincere and registered teacher trainer to a confident student advisor and teacher in many subjects. I have learned that I am capable of far more than I initially gave myself credit for. If anything I have learned that what you studied is just a starting point and how far you are willing to go is up to you. And I am aiming for the moon at least. If reinventing yourself and finding hapiness in each change is a job requirement, than I can assure you this: I've got it down. So here's to endings and new beginnings once again. I am not just good at what I do, I am the person you wish you had. I am smart, capable, a fast learner and above all: I am a runner.

Why would I say that? Being a runner means that I keep going even when the going get's tough, it means I can see each and every day as just that one day and judge it on it's own merrits. It means I can see the beauty in long term goals and the rewards of achieving even the smallest steps along the way. It means that giving up is not an option for me and it means that I can ask for help when I need it. It means I can see freedom in solutide and joy in groups. It means that I can see through words and value results for what they are. It means that I can breathe through hardships untold and dangers unnumbered. That's what it means. That is why being a runner makes me someone to not let go off. And it means that I have enough selfworth to see that and think that all the most beautiful words in the world are empty, hollow and meaningless if at the end of the road you are still a number. I am not a number. My name is Marlies van Eunen - de Boer. I am a runner, I am a bloody good lecturer, I am one hell of a motivational coach, I am a competent study advisor, I am an amazing cook, a loving wife and a caring daughter, I am a history geek, a singer, a guitar player and a doctor to be. I am the person you should hold on to. I matter!

Those were my thoughts on today's Irish easter rising centenary long runday and for what it is worth: today I celebrate my freedom. You can cage a person in a system but you can never capture their mind. I am a runner. I am free. Happy easter y'all!!

As always, until we read again,
Love, Marlies

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s