Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

From the darkest pits of your mind to every viber of your body

Hi y'all,

The adventure has taken a turn to the darkside and yesterday, as I ran my first 30km race ever, I have met every deamon there is to meet. I went straight to the pits of hell and back and I have never ever felt all of what I felt before. At the same time you find yourself surrounded by people that, for just that time and place, are true angels. They drag you out of your dark thoughts and help you move forward, they are the ones believing in you when you have lost all faith, they literally help you push through when you thought you had nothing left to give. Running. It's horrible and beautiful at the same time. If you ever really want to know what you are made of, if you ever want to truely grasp the way your own body works, if you ever want to know what it really means to not give up... I suggest you take time, you take all your time and you train for that full marathon. It changes you in more ways then you could ever know.

So what happened yesterday?  The love of my life went with me and the race took place in Amsterdam Noord. Before we had to take our places in one of the two corals that shaped the field for the 30km race we met up with another Dutch ALS fundraiser Tonny Kiburg. He will run the 100km ultra run for ALS next weekend. Now I said there two corals and that is correct. The entire field of participants for this event was 437 contenders, all of them trained, super skinny , a few I familiar social media faces and all of them fast, How does that make me feel? It's intimidating and I feel like l don't belong there and like I should just go home right away. And then there is this little tiny detail of it being my first 30km ever and me being scared shitless as is. The love of my life, bless his heart, walked me over to the coral and soon the gun fired off and we where on our way.

What you have to know about the course of this race is that it takes you straight to the very typical Dutch polders and villages. I for one can't understand why the contenders field is just about completely Dutch. The course is awesome. At half way point my cousin and her husband where volunteering as traffic handlers and as I raised my hand she snapped a few pictures. Up to the 20km point I was doing really good. I aimed to log a 3:30 on this race and crossed the 20km marker at 2:18. That felt good. One of the runners came up next to me and we started chatting. As I felt him speed up I tried to pick up the pace and that was something I shouldn't have done. Somewhere between km 24 and 26 it all went buggers. I had to pee badly and when I did stop to do so (I am not very shy in this regard because in the polder there are nu bushes so you have to squad along side the road) I couldn't. The nagging feeling lingered and my blatter was giving me all sorts of mixed signals. Not much later my bowels joined in.

Simultaneously my legs grew tired and that is when things got really dark. I got sidecramps and around km 26 I had to walk because the cramps wouldn't go away. Nothing is more devastating then having to walk when you're in your final 4km because it makes everything so hard. The selfdoubt kicks in and you are ready to give up. Somehow from the depths of my soul one thought took overhand and it made me run/ walk another kilometer and after that 500 meters and after that another 500. That thought was Sander. I thought of him waiting for me at the finish line with a towel and loads of hugs. I thought of him and literally from somewhere under my toes I found the strength to pick it up and wobble those last meters over to the tracks where the finish line would be.  I turned a corner and there he was. Sander. My super amazing husband man. His face lit up as he saw me and I cried something like 'Am i there yet?' but I had to run another 100m. Sander told me RUN. You can do this and I kept going. My cousin had biked over to the finish line and she stood there waiting for me, snapping pictures. I crossed the line and cried. Oh my god did I cry. I believe the first thing I said was that it was awful. And then Sander was there. I slumped into his arms and cried. Just so happy I had done it. Not proud. Just so happy it was over.

Coming home my bowels clearly had something to tell me and I ended up running to and from the bathroom a lot. Felt like I had contracted a stomach flue or ate bad fish. This whole 30km adventure has taught me a few things:

1. I have to add another 12km in just 6 weeks time. That is a lot and it scares the living crap out of me.
2. Even when I think I can't take another step, even then I can find a place to pull energy from and wobble on. Even when everything hurts and all you want to do is stop. Even at that point I now know I can go on.
3. The reaction of my body to this distance scares me. I can run the miles, that I know but....well ....my bowels and blatter act up and that is something I'm not sure I can manage. That scares me. A lot. Those toilet breaks really slow you down and it gets harder and harder to pick the pace up again. Am I the only runner having this issue?

Am I proud yet? I don't know. I did it and that is something completely different. But it hurt. It was awful.Meeting my deep inner critic nearly gutted me. Being able to overcome all of it and go on was a surprise. Meeting the angels of the day lifted my spirit (thank you screaming bearded man right around the tracks who told me you had nothing but the utmost respect for me. Thank you!) Feeling the arms of the love of my life made me feel safe and secure. I'm glad I made it. I know now that running that full marathon will be one of the thoughest things I have ever done. I am not sure I can make it but I am not giving up now. I am scared but I will not let fear get the best of me.

That's it for now. Until we read again.
As always, love Marlies

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s