Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Dark times lie ahead of us

Hi y'all,


I have been trying to come up with the right words for this blogpost ever since the mind-boggling results of the American elections. I have been in numerous debates with people from all over the world. Some people are downright rude when I speak up for those that openly have been targeted ever since. All over the USA, no the world, people are voicing what is happening to them on social media. Swastika's are popping up, young girls the age of ten and under (!) have been grabbed by the vagina by boys who tell them that if the president can do it than so can they, women wearing head scarfs out of religious believes are scared of wearing them....I am heartbroken. Do we really need a reminder of what hate can lead to? Let's just say that all it takes is one trip down memory lane.

I speak up because I am a human and no I do not live in the USA but this is not just an American issue. It is a global issue since the world always looks at the USA and uses it as an example for better or worse. So don't tell me to shut up, don't tell me it doesn't concern me and don't tell me I can't change anything for a nation I am not a part of. The results of this election are felt over the entire globe. This is not just an American issue and I am convinced that together we can make a change. It does concern you all because this hatred will come to you if you do not speak up now. This path the world is on right now will find it's way to your doorstep and you can't hide behind the borders of your nation. You simply can't.


As a running human of the female kind safety has always been an issue. It angers me that I have to be more aware of my surroundings than humans of the male kind. It frustrates me to hear over and over again that running the parks alone in the dark is what Dutchies would call 'de kat op het spek binden' (tie the cat to the bacon) thus telling me that in a way I could have seen it coming and that I was the stupid one if I was to be attacked in any way, shape or form. Nontheless you do take care because I have been on the short end of that stick once like many women in this city and it took me years to recover from that so I am not eager to go through that again. The worst part of 'that' is the shame you feel. Shame that is created by the way safety is taught to us. The generel rules for staying safe in potentially dangerous situations are:


1. Make sure you don't stick out in the crowd (keep your head down and your voice low)
2. Do not ever interfere in a fight or bad situation if it doesn't concern you. Walk away.
3. Women should never be by themselves at night.
4. Always make sure somebody knows where you are or at what time you will get to the place you are going to.
5. Always make sure you can be seen by other people. Never take a deserted path or road at night and/or by yourself.


These rules somehow only apply to humans of the female kind and why? Because we are targeted by assholes who believe that our bodies are theirs for the taking.


Ofcourse it is a good thing to think about your own safety but let me ask you this: if you would be on the receiving end of a vile attack and you would notice somebody walking away, how would you feel? And what if your underaged daughter is grabbed by the vagina because even the president can do this now, how would you feel? And what if your son is taken away simply because his sexual orientation doesn’t happen to be the one your leaders feel is right? Wouldn’t you feel utterly abandoned? Now by this time I’m sincerely hoping that you have come to realize that you would want somebody to help you.
I need y’all to understand me loud and clear: make the right choice. Be vigilant and always ALWAYS take care of your own safety and follow those simple rules in all their unfairness but don’t EVER walk away from someone in need.

Don’t let fear get the best of you and try to realize that there is still a lot of good left in this world and it is worth fighting for. Just this morning as I set out for a long run with the love of my life peddling on his bike behind me an older woman slowed down and stayed behind me. Apparently not sure what to make of the situation she at one point drove up next to me and asked me if I was with this man. When I confirmed that she gave me a big smile and a thumps up and said: 'Well that's all I needed to hear. I wasn't sure what to make if this but I'm happy you are alright' And then she just drove away. Goodness can still be found and we need to take care of each other. So take out your running shoes and join a race. Connect to other humans and let us all stand united. Together we can run this globe, together we can make a stand, together we can be the change. Stand up for those who can’t and be a human to other humans. In the end we all share the same globe as one species under the same sky. Never let fear silence you and know this: each and every life matters. Each and every single life.



That's it for now, until we read again
As always, love Marlies



Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s