Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Salty sweaty summer runs

Hi y'all,

This country, much like me, seems to be all or nothing in everything. When it rains...it RAINS, when the cold kicks in your butt will freeze off, when spring visits life blooms around you and when summer decides to make an entrance you better believe it is a grand one. Holy smokestack the weather pulled a 180 and I'm running in shorts and tops again. Loving the summer heat as long as it will last because trust me: the flatlands won't make you enjoy this for too long. Dutch summers are typically wet, grey and not warm. The summer we get to enjoy is about 2 weeks in May and then some around September but hey...I am currently stacking summer joy memories so I can go around telling everybody about our amazing Dutch summers like all the other misguided reality challenged ones around here.



Look I have to admit running in the summer heat isn't my favorite time around. Trust me I love heat, summer, beaches and ocean but running in heat I am not a huge fan of. My head has trouble losing my body heat so when temperatures rise my body needs a little time to adjust and the only thing I can do is just slow down a little. If I don't slow down I risk overheating and that is a serious problem. I have been overheated in runs before and it ain't pretty so I have learned to slow down and just enjoy a pace I can keep. Furthermore I make sure to drink enough. I never ever go out without at least a small refilable water bottle. Before and after the run I make sure that I keep drinking enough. That means I drink about 250ml of isotone sportdrink before a run and the same directly after. In between I drink water and depending on the distance I might drink more isotone sportdrink.

It just so happened that today is a particularly hot summer day and I was in for 12km slow aerobe threshold run. Good for me because that meant I had to run at a very slow pace. The love of my life went with me and he carried all the water on his bike. I love to run with Sander biking next to me and I'm sure I have told you this before but for me those long runs with him next to me are precious because we get to talk about all the stuff we wanna to talk about. It's our time together after a hectic week juggling work, family and training sessions. The only thing I need to be vigilant of is that I am not speeding up but today that hardly happened. The heat took good care of that. Each and every 3d km we stopped for a water break and I would immediately hide under a tree spreading my arms catching a breeze and cooling of by letting the sweat on my body do it's natural work. It was awesome. And the best part? Coming home and noticing that the sun has tanned your body, bleached your hair and makes you look rested and beachy.

Marathon training has begun and I am thrilled to have my long runs with the love of my life back on my schedule. My fundraiser is in the making and I will keep you posted but for now I'm just gonna enjoy what little summer we have and I strongly suggest y'all do the same.

That's it for now, until we read again,
As always, love Marlies

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s