Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

You can change the world

Hi y'all,

Forgive me for not being a loyal blogger. If you have given up on reading my adventures I can't blame you. If you did stick around I truely want to thank you. I am struggling with time at work, with my love, renovating the new house, being there for my parents and dealing with the harsh and ugly face of ALS which my mom is still going through. Some days are good, some are not so good and some days are just [fill in the blanks with curse words of your choice]

If any day why did I choose this day to write an update on my blog? Stephen Hawking died. ALS claimed another life and it just gutted me this morning. Next to a brilliant scientist that had the talent of actually reaching a broader audience with his explanation of quite dificult principles in astrophysics, astrobiology and cosmology he was the spark of hope for those understanding the face of ALS. He was the boy who lived....until just now when his body caved and he died. The world lost a brilliant mind, a man with a intense dose of humor and a talented writer. Today ALS won. Again. And I can't stand it anymore. It has to end NOW. Not just for my mom, not just for Stephen Hawking, not just for all of the patients I have met and those who are no longer here. Not JUST for them....ONLY for them. We owe them the answer. We owe it to them and to ourselves to rise up to the species we are and use our resourcefulnes, ambition, cunningnes and determintation to stop this disease.

And yes you CAN make that happen. You do not need to be a scientist or have a billion dollars to actually make a change. All you need to do is step up to the plate, quit looking at governement or whoever for answers and put on your grown-up pants. Don't tell me you think it is weird that we have to fundraise to find an answer because that isn't helpful at all and it doesn't change a thing. Don't look at me dumsbtruck like you just saw a cow catch a flying banana....go out there and help us fight this asshole disease. Don't talk about changing things....go change them! You have to the power to do so! How?? Well let me help you out here a little:

1. Donate money to your local ALS association
2. Set up a fundraising activity for your local ALS Association
3. Vote!! Yes you can choose the people in your governement and by doing so you can change the face of health care, financing scientific research and overall rules and regulations that form real obstacles for people dying of ALS. So VOTE...it is your RIGHT to do so. Now USE IT!!
4. Make each and every step count by downloading Charity Miles and logging miles for the American ALS Association. The answer can never come from just one country so the solution will come from international projects and so far the ALSA is the only group on charity miles working for patients suffering from ALS. Think it doesn't make a difference? Well think again! Thusfar all of us logging miles for the ALSA have raised about 25.000 dollars. Real cash, real differences!
5. volunteer at a fundraiser for ALS
6. join a city swim, a local swim, a walk or any other fundraising activity

I ran today and I am out of shape, extremely tired and every breath I took set my lungs on fire today. I ran 4 miles and it took me 44 minutes. I am angry about that because the shithole disease is claiming my mom and breaking the hearts of my family. Breaking us.  But I ran! I am not done running. I am not done ranting and I am not done fighting. ALS will kill my mom like it killed Stephen Hawking and so many others but ALS will NEVER kill my spirit. Ever! So whatever you do.... Don't come talking to me about wanting change for all of this. Put your money where your mouth is and help! If you don't have the funds to do so than put your energy where your mouth is and walk the walk!

Together we will end this! Keep it unreal and make it happen.
Until we read again, as always,
Love Marlies

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s