Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

About change and choices

Hi y'all,

Life as a runner is about a whole bunch of things and life as a runner somehow sometimes seems to be disconnected from your regular life, until your regular life starts to suffer from either running or not-running. How confusing this must be for non-runners and how completely normal this sounds to runners.What the juice is she on about? I'm talking about running and how life for a runner is about making choices to change for the better every single day.

How so? change is not something that happens around you, it is not something you can force upon other people to create an easier path for yourself. Change is an active choice you make each and every day. If you want to be a nicer person: be one, if you want to lose weight: stop eating garbage, if you want to be a runner: start running, if you want to feel happy: smile, if you want to feel loved: start loving yourself. It is that simple. Change is about you committing to something even if nobody else seems to be willing to help you out. You wanna know why? Because it isn't about them. It's about you wanting to change. And that is a choice you should make each and every day.

For me returning to myself, getting back to who I was before the final stages of my mom's ALS is way more difficult than I thought it would be. It's been almost 10 weeks since she passed away and life has returned to normal which means most people feel I should be done talking about it and moving on. And you know what? I can't change that. My life needs fixing, my heart needs mending and my body needs to heal. This has absolutely nothing to do with any of my co-workers, any of my friends and or any of my family members even. It's about me finding a way in a changed reality. As harsh and unbelievably sad as this is is, that is what it is and I need to refind my way. Maybe it is time to accept that the person I was is no longer the same anymore and maybe it is just time to reconnect to the me I've become scarred and wounded but I'm still here.



The runner in me got a very rude and very uncalled for wake-up call just a couple of weeks back and it made me get back on my feet, it made me wanna fight and better yet it made me wanna end the foul source of the call. It made me so mad I got back up because you simply don't kick somebody who's already down. I got so mad it made me wanna run because I'm Wolf and I'm Phoenix. I always rise from my ashes and I will come back and when I do you won't get a head start. I will outrun you and I will always ALWAYS come back and I will have my pack running with me. I am not alone and I will never be.

Now that call to get back on my feet and stop feeling like a victim, took a little something new with him...a somewhat silent whisper that sometimes that preditors instinct making you the badass runner that you are is fine as long as it isn't used to mask something else and so that silent-not-so-silent- whisper became this nagging little ring in my ear and I listened, watched and saw....and I didn't like what I saw. I need to reconnect to myself and get some clarity on why I do what I do. And in this case, yet again, running is the answer in my life. Now if i want to reconnect running is what I need to do. So in order for me to get my much needed clarity my regular life complained and told me to run more. Which means I need to create time to do that and a good challenge always helps...so I did a thing: I signed up for the 50mile month challenge at I Love to Run including bling and hoodie.



Why? Because I am a runner, I am Wolf and I am Phoenix and I will not lie down and watch my world fall apart. I will not quietly sit around to be bashed to the point of zero selfrespect  when I clearly do not deserve that. I am a runner and I am making the choice to be one each and every day.  So today I started out on my 50mile month challenge, halfway with my 30days of zero challenge. I want to heal my scarred body, my stressed mind and my wounded soul and I am the only one that can make that happen.

You know that point in any adventure when the main character leaves his fellows behind because there a some things he needs to face alone? I am at that point now and I'm no longer scared. Sander is my rock, my compass, my constant and I know he will always be there for me. I'm not scared because even though some things are done alone, it doesn't mean you are alone.  I just stepped on the first bricks of a new road. Where it will take me I don't know and what will happen is something I can only find out. But one thing is certain. I am a runner, and I got back up. I am Wolf and I just answered the call, I am Phoenix and I will rise from my ashes. ALWAYS.

Keep it unreal and make it happen.
That's it for now, until we read again
as always, love Marlies


Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s