Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Home is where the heart is

Hi Y'all,

Some runs are good, some are not just like days and people are I guess. Being raised a rebel with a country soul and a lot of love for all things considered freedom, I learned at a very young age that you don't ever ask ' why me?!' but you pull down your hat and scream 'TRY ME!'. The latter almost always being a challenge either to you or to the person having the nerve to cross you.

Yesterday was a bad day. I had been working 20 hours over two of my days off and when I did start out on my run I immediatly felt it was a bad idea. Not just any bad idea but the mother of all bad ideas. My legs were so tired I started to sway one mile in, I felt dizzy and sick and right there and than I decided to call it quits. I hardly ever do that but this one was just me asking for a whole lot of problems. I was sad and angry. I couldn't even get a run in.

When I got home I ate, took a shower and crashed on the couch under a blanket feeling absolutely exhausted. Too tired to move anything. I slept like didn't even see my bed just the night before and all in all caling it quits yesterday was a good decision because today my bad run got a do-over that felt a lot better. I ran 4.3 miles and felt good. Running past the lake I have come to love in my newish home town and through the park just made it easier for me to breath and it gave me a clean start on this hectic week.

Yesterday sucked running wise. Today felt good and once again I felt so at home in the surroundings we call home since December that I wasn't surprised when I wanted to get defensive in a meeting a few hours later when my new home town got bashed by two people I shook hands with for the first time. Now I decided to not blow-up about it and just reply with a friendly smile telling that leaving Amsterdam has been the best choice I made in a very long time and that I absolutely love my new town. And why did I not get all up in their faces about it? Because a good run gives me enough oxygen to deal with stuff like that....until I slam the doors of my car ...

To be fair it kinda does get to me when people bash my new town because they are degrading our choices without having the decency to ask me why we decided to live here. Being so disrespectful about a town you honest to the deities don't even know is offensive and rude. Plain rude, But you know what? I truely do hope people like that keep their promise and don't ever move here because I am not willing to share one inch of my beloved nature with oxygen depriving people like that. In all fairnes I am not willing to share our newly found home with anyone having to bitch about it. What I would like to say to them is this:

Please don't ever see the beauty in running / biking or hiking past the endless patches of farmland, the Markerlake, The Oostvaardersplassen, The Markerwadden, Bataviahaven and IJsselmeer. Please don't ever come visit our stages for a great show by world known names or our lovely town center for a good day of shopping. Please spare me the details of how you loath something you will never understand and please ....what ever you do.....don't ever move here and please don't even come over for a day!! Your money isn't what we want because your company isn't all it's cracked up to be. This place is not for people bashing the crap out of a small town with stunning nature surrounding it.

This place is made for people that are sick and tired of hipsters and overcrowded, overcommercialized events. This place is made for people that love to be outdoors, join small local initiatives, help out others just because it is the decent thing to do, work around the house and garden on Saturday and join sporting events on Sunday. This place is made for quiet evenings and silent nights that actually show you the stars. This place is for people that love small town festivals and all they have to offer. This place is the place we call home simply because somewhere along the way we lost our hearts to it.



That's it for now. Keep it unreal and make it happen
no limits, no regrets
as always, Love Marlies

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s