Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Loving Lent

Hi y'all,




Without y'allst knowing about it I've been working on a course called personal leadership and by doing this I seem to get closer to finding the me after it all. The gaping wounds that scorched my soul and left me switching from feeling the love and gratitude to feeling utterly at drift in the midst of a stormy neverending ocean of pain, tears and anger...those wounds somehow seem to have created a thin and fragile layer of new skin on them and my raft seems to have drifted into calmer waters. Since I shifted my focus from the dark waters to the brighter lights of positivity I find myself looking out, wanting to venture out, longing for the road and the adventures of a new goal.

In my last update I told you that all I had to do was find  a new huge and awesome goal first and than come up with a plan. I did not however anticipated on the plan being there before the goal but there you have it....The plan is here and I know my goal but just not yet the time and place for it, other than it having to be in either October or November and not in Amsterdam.




So what plan did I come up with? Well...today is ash Wednesday, marking the 40 days of Lent after carnaval and fat tuesday (pancake day)  and preceding easter. Though I was not raised a catholic the idea of Lent has kind of intrigued me ever since I was a teenager. During the 40 days (not counting Sundays) before easter the idea is to give up items considered to be rich and luxery foods such as milk, eggs, meat & cheese. Now I'm not going to give up dairy products and go vegan like I suggested because my loving husband and super sister both nearly jumped up and raised their voices scared and worried that I was back on the anorexic track. Trust me, that is a thing I still battle every time I venture out on a new goal even though it's a fight that isn't always as clear judging by the size of my clothes. It's there and it is real and my man and sister were right. I was already on the platform back to that track. So I stopped and re-evaluated why I suggested the 40-vegan-days-adventure and this why:

  1. I want to run a marathon again...that being it.
  2. That means I need to shed some pounds because 26.2 miles is not a joke. It's very hard and physically very demanding. The less you weigh, the easier it gets (see my problem here?)
  3. Lent for me is about giving up something you find difficult to give up and it's about giving to those who are less fortunate than you.
  4. Lent is also about rethinking your ways.
So in many ways Lent is the perfect time to take the first steps out of the raft and onto new land, discovering the new path that will lead me to...papapapapaaaaaa.....the finish line. Going vegan is not the way for me but I can just get back on track with what Glinda-the-good taught me back in 2016 when I was training for my first marathon. I know what to do, I even know how to do it and even though I know all of this my mind and body are a little scared and curious at the same time. So I looked up the lessons taught by Glinda-the-good, entered a 14km race for May 11th, might join a 10 mile race April 28th, will be half way in June and ready come fall 2019. I still have some PHRC medals I have to earn as a perfect motivation for training lined up. So let the games begin.....



Following the lessons taught by Glinda-the-good there are a few things I need to do. One of the things I need to do is plan my food-intake for an entire week. This takes time, careful deliberation and a the will to actually get behind the stove every day. Somehow I had forgotten  that it is exactly that which got me into that creative mood for cooking but when I started to write down what I wanted to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner I remembered. I like the challenge of coming up with just slightely altered cookbook recipes and different types of breakfast each morning. I ended up flipping through pages of favorite cookbooks and longing for Sunday meal prep sessions. I love to cook and now I finally have a proper kitchen and the best tools one can ask for. Now all I need is the will to prepare in order to succeed.

Today marks the first day of Lent and after yesterday's pancakes I'm wearing my ash cross proudly and as I carefully step onto the road of a new adventure all I can hope for is that it will carry me.

That's it for now, keep it unreal and make it happen.
No limits, no regrets.
Until we read again
as always, Love Marlies

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s