Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Lent me your ear. I'm one week in....

Hi y'all,

Do you ever get that feeling that the universe is trying to tell you something? That there are just too many coïncidences for you to keep seeing them as such? Right that about sums up week 1 of Glinda-the-Good and marathon training.

Last week I told you about the new huge and awesome goal I had to find. Well I can let you in on part  one of the secret because part two isn't open for registration yet. I have registered for another race to mark the half-way point in training. I will run the Amersfoort HALF marathon June 16th. About 4 months months later somewhere on this planet I will run a full one and it scares the shit out of me because this marathon is not one where you can hide behind about 10.000 other runners. This one doesn't have that many runners. So I am scared. Yep. Again.

Marathon drama was there the minute I said the magical words outloud...MA-RA-THON and badaboooom DRAMAAAAA.



The first thing that happened was that my company (a charity) decided to take on the adventure of flying across the ocean with a bunch of humans that are crazy enough to actually start training for the epic 26.2 miles, run it with the severe change of a jetlag AND to top it of go crazy in fundraising too. What marathon? well....it's to be held November 3th in one of the US biggest cities that we used to call New Amsterdam before we sold it to the British...yep...New York City, the big apple. And we have runners that will run it and I'm coming with. But I can't run it. WHAT??? You passed up on opportunity to run NYC? Yep I did and I'm not sad about it either. Why did I pass it up?

1. First of all I'm commited to swimming the Amsterdam City Swim with my sister to raise money for the charity I work at. I can only participate in one big fundraising event and actually raise some money. People tend to get a little worn out if you overask and I don't want to be that person. So one event per year and I was already committed to swimming the canals.

2. I either run 26.2 miles and do it as a fundraiser OR I'm there as an eventmanager. I can't do both at the same time. That is just not possible

3. I'm running my full in October and I can't run back-to-back. Some people can, I am not one of them.

So NYC was out of the question and than the big drama started because I want to run it in October but the only really huge one with many participants and a time limit of 6hrs was one I've already done AND one that is too much tied to mom, ALS and all of that. I never want to run Amsterdam again. So Dublin got my attention, but it was a tad expensive for just 4 days doing things I love to do but the love of my life doesn't so we decided against it and after I adapted to the idea of running it in the Netherlands all I could think was:

1. I'll be the last one to finish if I chose the other marathon so Amsterdam is my safest bet...but I really don't wanna run Amsterdam. I DON'T AAAARGH I HATE THIS...

2. I really need a six hour time limit. Why am I such a bad runner? Why am I such a sad slow stupid turtle. EVERYONE can run a full in 6 hrs....I'm better than that. OMG I'm soooo not. I will finish last if I ever finish it at all...Oh lord...I can't do this one. My only option is Amsterdam and I really DON'T WANNA!!

Yep....I was being a completely spoiled, scared and just completely stupid little girl stomping her feet because I didn't get what I wanted and what happened was that I immediatly let insecurities overtake me. So after one night of being stupid I decided to F'n grow a pair, girl-up and just go for it. I CAN run this marathon within the time limit and even if I do cross that finish line as the last runner than I still ran 26point2miles....so F insicurities and F everything....I'm registering for the not-so-big marathon. Yep. F....I'm doing that. F it....F it all! And so I joined the ranks of the lucky NYC rungroup for their first training. This is me trying to pull myself up and trust me when I say that 'm sure someone forgot to put in my muscles when I was created. Seriously!!


So what was the weirdest part?  Minutes after I decided upon the other marathon and registered for the Amersfoort half, literally minutes after that....my old running club boss mailed me asking me if I could take on a new group of runners. Seriously....minutes after I registered. That is weird right? I mean...weird weird. Well....I said not now...because I'm not fit enough to be one at this moment but after my own marathon and NYC we'll talk. How is that for week one hunh? And i haven't even told you if the miracle workings of Glinda-The-Good combined with me being more active have paid off....well ...I can see slight changes but my scale is being an utter A-hole and didn't change a thing. Not to worry, it will come. I know it will.



We are on the #roadtoAmersfoort and I will make this happen. Even if it scares the bejeezers out of me.

That's it for now, keep it unreal and make it happen
No limits, no regrets
Until we read again, as always
Love Marlies

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s