Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

On heat, dresscode and badges

Hi Y'all,

Summer is officially here and today I've started my second half of marathon training and just today temperatures went up to 30C / 86F so today I wanna write about a few things. First off all...dresscode. Let me start by saying: can we just agree to never ever tell another human what to wear in summer? Why because I'm annoyed/bothered by the fact that bodyshaming is still a thing. I am going to  be blatently rude so if you can't take it than please stop reading now. Continue and do not say I didn't warn you. I'll have non of this ever again and I will speak up if you do it in front of me.


You kept on reading. Good. I can't be held responsible for your long toes so if I step on m than that's not my problem. Here we go: if you connect bodyshape to either beauty or fitlevel or godforsake both than you are an asshole. Yes you are and you need to stop. Surviving the heat when running (or just going to the beach or the office for that matter) on summer days has nothing to do with beauty or sex. Period. The moment you start saying stuf like: you can't wear that because [....fill in the blanks with reasons like...you are too big for that...it's too short....it shows a little too much of....] than you are connecting bodyshape to beauty, fitlevel or sex (or the lack thereof according to you) and it makes you an asshole. I run in shorts and a tanktop when it's hot like this. It doesn't mean I want to have sex with you, it doesn't mean you get to comment on my not too modest boobs and it sure as hell doesn't mean you can call me fat, ugly or a person that needs to hide herself in sportswear that is unrevealing. Have you ever tried running an 8+ mile run in 30C/86F? I just did and I sure as hell will never ever not do it and I sure as hell will never ever wear something unrevealing just because my running thus sweating and jiggling body is too hard for you to handle. Don't like what you see? Guess what...changes are that the feeling is mutual but let's just agree to keep those opinions to ourselves yeah? Opinions are like assholes...everybody has one. Who are you to decide what a specific body type is granted to wear? Who are you to decide what beauty is and seriously....a little nudity means immediatly you wanna do every stranger that comes along? Really? WOW! What year did you wake up in? Hellooooooo waky waky!!

Aaand moving on....heat has another edge to it. Called hydration. Obviously I have to get up way too early on days off just to be able to run before the heat really strikes which ...as y'all know....I'm not a fan off and second: you need to bring water. A lot of it or run a route that has points for tapwater (like we had back in Amsterdam). Now Lelystad doesn't have those points so now the love of my life is also stacking bottles of water on his bike when he comes along on my long runs. I don't know exactly how much water you need to drink in order to stay hydrated but it's a lot more than usual so I'm blessed with my mobile water station aka super amazing husband man but if you don't have a buddy carrying water for you than please make sure you run with some mode of water transportation even if you run in the early morning like I did. Make sure you drink plenty of water before running and after too. I can tell you I felt like this when I finished my run:


But I survived and I earned myself a nifty new badge on Strava. Yes I am a nerd and I love badges so I'm proudly sharing this one and I wanna earn a lot more so it's a good thing I'm on my way to full marathon mode. Badges just bring me joy. It feels like a little digital reward I earned that was not just given. Something I earned by running a certain distance, time, elevation, run streak or pace. Earned not given. So you see....running makes me happy. I feel good about myself and for just a little while it is just me and the love of my life and that is priceless.

So for now I wanna end this post by asking y'all to look at your body and enjoy what you see. Your body is a magical vessel that carries you through life. You will get scarred and you will see the signs of time passed written accross it. Love the message it is sending you: You are human, you kick ass. This body is yours  and only you get to decide what you wanna do to or with it. Nobody else has that right. Ever! Learn to feel at home in your body and as for the bodies of other humans? Focus on better things!

That's it for now, until we read again,
Keep it unreal and make it happen
as always, love Marlies


Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s