Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Holding expectations

Hi y'all,

When in training for a marathon not all is fun and games and as I once again noticed just last week running is very much a state-of-mind thing next to a fit-thing. And I had a decent encounter with quite a life-lesson called disappointment. The entire week seemed to be steering towards the subject of it and I found myself in conversations on the subject regarding running and real-life. Why? Because I threw in the towel on my long run last Sunday. I just couldn't get to the let-it-go and push-through part of my brain and my legs seemed to go through some kind of spontanious combustion thing. The entire run left me frustrated, in pain and very disappointed. That kind of frustration is something I learned to go through and let go of it quickly because there's literally no use crying over spilled milk is there? But than someone threw this quote at me and I got kinda angry



Why? Simple: first of all I do hold standards and yes I expect great things from me and from the people around me. This quote to me is just teeth clenching disgusting. What if I told you that I never expected anything from you, just simply nothing??!! How is that a good thing? And accept everything? really?/ How is this a good thing? Neither of these things are good and the combo of it makes room for excuses and fear to rule the world and that to me is just unacceptable.

Ofcourse we all have our limitations and we all are born with some sort of 'brücksanvang' but that doesn't mean you can't live up to being a good person that wants to better yourself and the world around you to make sure we all enjoy a good life. There just simply isn't an excuse for mediocricy and scaredypants behaviour. Why not? Because you are priviliged. If you are reading this blog that means you have internet, you know how to read and more importantly....apperently you have time to spare. So yes you are priviliged and you need to step up, clean up your act and put your money where your mouth is. Be the change, get over yourself and just do what it takes to achieve the goals you set out for yourself. Whatever they may be. Be it a 5km run or actually breaking through some kind of barrier in oh...I don't know....curing a disease, clean the world from plastic or free it from hunger or something like that. If you expect nothing and accept everything you are making room for war mongers, polutioners and egocentricism. So yes I do expect you to do better and be better because you are in a position to actually change the way your (and thereby our) world works. So I'm expecting too much??


No I can't even....I just can't so let me be crystal clear here. My answer to this flawed quote is this: nothing changes if nothing changes. And if you are counting on your goals to be met by doing what you have always done than let me try and wake you up: YOU ARE WRONG! You will never change a thing by doing what you have always done.

If you wanna run a faster race but you are unwilling to add at least one speed training a week to your plan you will not get faster. If you wanna drop the number on the scale but you don't wanna give up on sweets and fried food your scale will get stuck at the same number, if you want a clean ocean but you keep buying bottled water you are adding to the problem. So you see.....You can make things happen but only if you hold some standard AND are willing to make the sacrificies to actually meet your goals.

When you disappoint me it means I expected something from you and that to me is not a bad thing. Holding you (or me) to some sort of standard is a good thing because it means I'm convinced you can do it. The moment I stop believing in you is the moment I'm no longer invested because I've also learned another thing: you can't push a person that is too scared to move. And trust me....when you are as priviliged as you are the only thing that is holding you back is fear. Basic and simple fear.

So you ran a bad race? What you gonna do? cry in a corner and shiver with fear? or move on and find a new way to crush your goals? I am actively making the choice to move on after each and every bad run even if it takes me discussions like these. I will never shut-up for the sake of quiet, I will never step aside for people that hold no standards and I will always hold myself and my friends to a high standard. Why? Because I care about myself and my closest ones. I respect them, I believe in them and I love them. So F*CK that stupid quote, take a good look at what you wanna go do and make the changes necessary to acchieve the goals you have set for yourself. You are not here to sit an a corner and wait for change to come your way.

That's it for now. Keep it unreal and make it happen
no limits, no regrets
until we read again
love Marlies

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s