Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Fundamentals

Hi Y'all,

In running there are all sorts of unseperable trio's. Things that come in three and always do. Things I like to call the fundamentals. Think of them as basics, not rules to live by but merely interlinked shackles forming a tiny chain. There are a few to consider and even though I might be the only one ever thinking about them as such is doesn't hurt to share my outtake on them so here we go:

The holy trinity of running: luck, wisdom & bling.
In running, especially long distances, we all need a little luck. No guarantees are given no matter the amount of preperation you put into a long distance race. You can be as prepared as any preacher for christmas is and still not make it to the finish line. So many things can happen while you are out on race day so....a little luck for all runners never hurt anyone. Supersticion amongst runners is a thing and I for one am a supersticious as they come. Numerous rituals before that gun goes off to mark the start of the race just to make sure I've done all things needed to call on luck. Such as always carry a small token with me, always just say a little prayer to all concerned deities just to make sure I'm on everyone's good side and that is just a handful of things.
Wisdom is all in preperation and it doesn't just come to you. You need to educate yourself by learning from others. Find a good coach, learn how to technically make your body a more efficient running machine, learn about different types of training sessions and how you can benefit from them. Wisdom primarely translates to knowledge. However it is not just that. Wisdom and not just knowledge because your body will talk to you during a any road to any race. All you need to do is tap into the infinite source that connects your rational part to your gut. Listen carefully and learn what different signals mean so you know when to push through and when to let go.
Last but not least we have this little thing called bling. The one thing waiting for you upon arrival at that finish line. The one thing that will always bring you back to that specific moment in time to that specific place and those specific people. Bling translating into a medal is a port key. By touching it you can travel to a very specific place in time even if it is by way of memory.

The basics: work-out, eat & rest
In order to have a good race you need to do all of these & find just the right balance and that is not easy to do. There is no one-size-fits-all principle in this one. Your body, your rules. Some people are truely natural born runners. I am no such thing. I need to work really hard to even make it to a distance of half a marathon, just imagine what it means to double the distance and run a full. And the balance changes over time. When you're young your body recovers flabbergastingly fast but growing older and going through different stages of life your body needs time to adjust and recover. It's not just a mental thing. Women, as opposed to men, have to deal with a shitload of hormones raging through their bodies and every phase in your cycle is one to take into consideration. The kind of food you need, the type of rest you need and the type of work-out you need to optimize your race day results....it is all linked.

I am currently trying to figure out what my new ideal combo is because as it happens: I have officially entered menopause. The total taboo as it turns out....literally no woman talks about going through menopause. I've actually been shamed into shutting up by women from my mom's generation who felt it was too uncomfortable to talk about. So I need to figure this shit out on my own and I'm doing that now. On January 1st I wrote in my journal: I am connectd to all that is and that means....I will tap into that infinite source that is my gut to see where my running journey will take me now that I am going through this massive change. Because it is massive, it is no small thing. It is another phase in your life as a woman and I will take time to see what it means both mentally as much as physically.

Are you a non-mom female that entered this phase and do you have anything to share with me that might help me understand this new part of learning how to run and embrace this change at the same time? Drop your comments below.

That's it for now, be kind to yourself
Until we read again, as always
Love Marlies




Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s