Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Road blocks or workarounds?

Hi y'all,

The world has gone bonkers and in total state of panic for a very serious virus, one we should be cautious off and definately not joke about and I can't write this week's piece without at least aknowledging the sheer fact that COVID19 will claim lives and that all of us need to act like responsible adults of the human kind.

That being said I do mean responsible adults. You know...the kind that calms the kids down and let worry for the future not be their burden, the kind that stays calm when everyone around them starts screaming, the kind that looks for a way out in a way befitting a grown example of the mere species we call human. What we ought to do is calm down. If this is the emergency we fear so desperately than the only thing that can actually help save your life and those of your loved ones is STA which stands for Stop Think Act.



Panic never saved anyone and panic is what contributes if not creates the self fullfilling prophecy of an apocalypse. We all watch too many end-of-the-world shows and the way we totally ramsack our supermarkets now is devostating on many more levels than the mere empty shelfs. So ask yourself: are you trying to survive? Watch Bear Grylls in stead of the walking dead. Make sure you are fit enough and remain calm. Breath. Be vigilant, not panicy and remember whatever your response will be it is what you'll transfer to those around you.

So how do you go through this? Look I am not a guru here but in my humble opinion you can either get depressed and feel bereft of a live you could have, of things that you now can not use because someone else has taken them before you could OR you can look at all the impossibilities and try to see the possibilities.

So your gym is closed? Well how about their online classes? Take a towel, drop it on the floor and work your way through an online class. Trust me they can be just as daunting. Are you not allowed to leave your property to get your high impact runs/work-outs in and you don't own a treadmill? How about using a laundry line as jumprope to get that heart pumping? If you are allowed to go outside than use your normal morning commuter time to get a work-out in like a bike ride, a walk or a run.

The upcoming two weeks I am not allowed to work from the office. Since I work in a somewhat international setting with many of my collegues travelling the world to help people in places forgotten by the rest of the world, I am not allowed into the office. So I have to work from home. I am one of the lucky ones that actually has a study with an amazing desk and two well designed chairs, all of the lines needed to connect with my collegues all over the world if need be and I live in a quiet town. Yes that makes me one of the fortunate ones. However even I need to STA and decide what to do and so during my run today I realized the easiest thing to do is let go of your daily routines and that is what makes this entire situation more difficult so....in order to stick to my routines and feel like I'm doing everything I can to keep the workload going and contribute the best way I can I have come up with this:

1. Get up on my usual commuter time
2. use morning commuter time to work-out
3. Make work-roster with tasks and breaks in it
4. stick to roster
5. use evening commuter time to end every day with online yoga class.

This is my plan and trust me...I am not looking forward to the idea of our government maybe going as far as to not allow anyone outside anymore but I will not be pushed into fear by social media updates, supermarket shopping cart wars and non-thought-off food supply buyers. I am actively chosing to keep my wits about and if anything I will now start bingewatching Bear Grylls.

That's it for now. Be the spark that lights a fire
Until we read again, as always
Love Marlies

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s