Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Road rat observations of a gym junkie

 Hi y'all

When in training for long(er) distances one has to work on core and strength next to stamina, cardio and endurance thus one regularly has to enter (*ominous music playing...papapapaaaaaaa*) THE GYM




I am still fortunate one because I first of all get to work out with a personal trainer every other week, second of all live in a place where the gym still is open for business (no total lockdown yet) and my gym caters to the predominantly elderly in off-peak times which I think is AWESOME. Why? Well obviously because the legendary ones have no need to proof their worth anymore. They have proven themselves in life many times before and the best proof they can offer is to themselves and I applaud them for even showing up when clearly they could be doing so many other things. Anywhooooo....Gym Junkies was to be my topic of today.

Now when you're at the gym you are forced to deal with other humans working out and there are several types of gym humans to feast your eyes and ears upon:

The quick and dirty gym rat

Easily reckognizable because this gym person did not bring a towel, does not clean the machines when it's done and janks on the levers and weights like it has only 2 minutes to actually do something. I swear to God sometimes I think The Flash has snatched it's body. And it sweats....buckets. You know when you're strength area you can just see the droplets falling onto the usually carpeted floor under and around the leg press and the abdominal crunch.

The gym machismo

Oh come on...you know exactly what I mean. It is that one guy in a skimpy eighties racerbackdudestanktop with armpits that have so much hair under it you figure he's trying to make up for his receding hairline. That one guy that moans and groans like he's pushing out the biggest assbaby anyone ever saw and you're about sure he's in for a total rupture. That guy who seems to be the only one around that still didn't figure out you do not need to let go of the handle of the lateral pull-down and clang the weights with a deafening blow. 

Gym buddies

Socializing at the cardio section you'll most likely find them on the treadmill or the crosstrainer. when at the strength section they tend to use one machine and switch in between reps. Pushing themselves to no extend at all they walk and chatter away. This is their time away from the kids or, if they are kids,  away from their parents. They just wanna have some time to catch up with the same person they saw max two days ago at the same place. Working out is just an added bonus, not their goal.

Goal getting gym functionada's

These are the ones you see running around in between sections with their phone at hand.They tick off boxes in a training plan and the first thing they do when they enter the gym is get on the scale. They do it again when they leave. Never got that by the way. They are at the gym because they have goals to reach and sometimes they look happy, other times not so much and they're likely to flip like a light switch between those two. I rather enjoy observing the goal getting gym functionada. I kina love their dedication, somehow it inspires me.

Grumpy gym junkies

The kind that wouldn't surprise you if they'd wear a shirt stating they hated morning people and mornings and people. The ones who are at the gym because they have to be for some inexplicable to most reason. You see you never actually HAVE to. Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to work out. You get to, you can go...but you don't have to. It's the kind of gym junkie that somehow never seems to be able to smile. Not even when they're done

Super seniors

Not just by age but because they seem to live at and for the gym. It is what they do all day long for as long as you can remember. No matter the time you enter, they're there and when you leave they still are. When you've been seen around a few times they'll say hi when you come in and bye when you leave. They know how to work each and every machine and they make everyone in there look like a newb but they'd never treat you like one. Not even if you are one.

NEWBS

First-timers. Looking around nervously, not sure how to work the machines, trying to not look at themselves in the mirror while simultaniously trying to look like they know what they're doing. Trust me even though I've been at my gym for over a year now and I'm working out twice a week I still look like a newb at my club. Somehow it's kinda unfair because my club is filled with super seniors and they will never be a match.


Oh well....these are my observations of gym junkies. What are yours? Would love to hear them.

That's it for now, until we read again

as always, love Marlies

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s