Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Saving space for compassion

Hi y'all

What a rollercoaster ride life can be. One minute you're embarking on the year to end all big and epic challenges and the next a deadly virus strikes the earth and changes everything. Everything you ever took for granted somehow seems to dissipate into sheer oblivion and you can't be sure if anything will ever be the same again. How is that for a dramatic opening of another blogpost on my way to NYC....

Oh wait a minute....NYC marathon, the 50th edition, the one I was supposed to run for charity...that one...Oh yeah...that deadly virus sweeping the earth like hell hath nu fury? Well...it took care of all of my fears of not being able to pull it off both physically and fundraising-wise because that virus just made sure my Big Apple Marathon got cancelled. So how do I feel about that? Hmmmm pretty sure you can guess the level of my disappointment. But honestly I would have been overwhelmed with fear ....no....anxiety if that same marathon would have happened in the city that is now more than ever facing a crisis of epic proportion. The city that always bounces back, the city that feels so familiar to most of us and the city that sweeps me off of my feet and that grounds me, humbles me and leaves me crying everytime I say goodbye to it. That city is in pain and it's aweful. So feeling sad and disappointed about running the 50th at this time feels ...honestly?... twisted. Literally I can't wrap my mind around the enormity of the feels sweeping over me.

The runner inside me, my a-type, red personality stepped in after one night of feeling powerless and sad and came up with a plan to turn all of those emotions into something more constructive guiding me towards achieving my goals which are now both set do be done in 2021. And to tell you the truth it is a solid plan even if I do say so myself. However....in all of it's practicality and succesrate likelyness it lacks one ingrediënt I more and more need but yet seem unable to attain and it is compassion. Compassion for oneself, me in this case, but more importantly so...others.

Somehow I feel uneasy with the notion that me feeling compassion for the person that hurts my feelings un-or-intentionally will help me communicate better and with that help me understand myself better. Honestly? I have had my feelings stumped on, trashed, gutted, thrown in the air and doing all of that all over again more times than I care to remember and each and every time the people stomping all over my personal space were the ones telling me that I was what was wrong in the entire picture and it is tiresome.

My athletes heart is breaking because at some point I want to feel better about the relationships I have in my life with my family and even with friends and I want to be able to get more in touch with what is really going on that is upsetting to me in specific situations but on the other hand I don't want my personal boundries to be violated anymore either because you see....in all of my epic directness and akwardness in dealing with emotions, be that my own or those of others, I am a person and somehow the compassion thought seems a one way street. The way in which you are always the flawed one and you have to change in order for the other to be able to understand you or you yourself. And in all of it non-judgemental approach it feels very judgemental to me. It's twisted.

In running non of these things seem twisted to me, Running is honest and clear and in running there is always space, love and understanding. The needs of a runner are clear. When a runner crosses a finish line without that spark, that smile, that unmistakenable victors look you just let that runner have their moment in quiet. You don't come running offering advice or anything else. You let quiet and space take care of the feels, you don't go tell that runner how it makes you feel that they ignored you because you know what? It simply isn't about you. In running if a runner enters the day before a big race and they feel inadequate and lash out you don't go tell them how that makes you feel. You sit in quiet and establish how you would feel a day before a big race and you'll let them have their moment. In running if a runner is very proud of their result and they want to talk about it all day long you don't go tell them that you are very happy for them and it makes you feel proud that they feel safe enough to share that with you but that you really need some time for something else and could they please take your time more seriously. No you just don't. You let them have their victory. Why? Because in all that is running, if a runner wants you to be there it means there is trust and loyality and in running I do understand compassion. At least towards other runners, not always towards myself but hey live and learn right?

All in all in running I understand compassion. In running I do. In real life? Not so much. So what now? How do I take what I've learned in running to real life? Should I really do it? Vulnarability gets you injured in real life. Trying to understand why the crocodile ends up killing the rabbit when it carries it across the river is futile. The crocodile can not help himself, he is a crocodile. Trying to understand why a mysogenystic man wants to put a woman in her place is like trying to understand the crocodile. Trying to understand why someone catcalls you because you run in shorts and a tanktop is like trying to understand the crocodile. And it makes me wonder.....Why should I want to understand the crocodile? Why does compassion in real life feel unstable, unclear and very very very unsafe? Is it because the people preaching compassion are in fact the crocodiles carrying you accross the river or am I just too scarred and damaged to really get in touch with my gut feeling?

Anyway....running is easy. Real life isn't.
That's it for now, until we read again
as always, love Marlies

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

The will to succeed....

Hi y'all, The world is filled with wishes, dreams, hopes and fears and I'm happy this tiny orb has all of m and yet that longing, that need, that hope for things to happen or maybe even the fear for them won't ever make anything happen. A dream alone will get you through a dark time but it won't make the night go away. Hope for better times will provide you with some sort of elastic band that might stretch a little further but it won't get you over that gap. A wish is nothing more than a whisper over candle light or a shooting star blasted into a universe that knows no sound and fears are the seeimingly unbreakable ties your mind has you wrapped in. The world won't give you anything, the universe can't hear you. People might and hopefully your mind will. Did you ever experience the absolute need to do something, no doubts nor fears about weather or not you're able to? That is exactly how I felt the first time I started training for a marathon. I wanted

Playing roulette with your emotions

Hi y'all After being part of the amazing Dam-tot-Damloop and having so much fun I am confident I can actually pull off the distance in San Francisco. The hills I'm a little nervous about but I'm doing everything within my options to get stronger so my legs will be able to carry me up and down the hills without losing too much time. This means I started seeing a physical therapist and I'm working on core stability and strength too about three times a week. I do have some breaking news  but I can't share it yet because not all details are clear. As soon as they are I promise y'all a memorable update. As for now....I have been training for the hills in San Francisco. How? Well....last Sunday my love set out a race course over 7 kilometers that included two pretty steep bridges: Amsterdamse brug and Schellingwoudebrug. Just a few pictures that Sander de Boer made for you to enjoy. Thank you Sander for being there all the way. I love you! At the base of the

I will run the Damloop 2013 for ZZF

To my dear Dutch donating friends and all other readers, A new blog. It has been a while since I blogged about anything so why start now? I am fortunate enough to be one of many runners of the famous Dutch Damloop and I've taken on this 10 mile run as fundraiser for a very good cause. They're called Stichting Zeldzame Ziekten Fonds This organisations' main goal is to raise money for research on rare diseases such as Kawasaki's disease and Neuralgic Amyotrophie. Why this organisation when there are so many others? Well that is easy: Since little is known about those rare diseases research needs to be done. As we all know research is expansive and since everybody has to make budget cuts the research on these rare diseases is likely to be put on hold. But did you know in Holland most patients of a rare disease are children? And did you know that most rare diseases are life threatning or leave you (severely) impared? Did you know that in Holland 30% of the children s